graphic-ccli-trademark.svg CCLI Trademark Logo graphic-ccli-trademark.svg CCLI Trademark Logo graphic-songselect-trademark.svg CCLI SongSelect Logo icon-megaphone-circle-line.svg Icon Megaphone icon-megaphone-circle-line-white.svg Icon Megaphone icon-press-kit Press Kit Icon icon-fact-sheet Fact Sheet Icon icon-megaphone-circle-line-mobile.svg Icon Megaphone icon-close-filled.svg Icon Close icon-close-white.svg Icon Close icon-close-blue.svg Icon Close icon-earth-filled.svg Icon Earth icon-earth-line.svg Icon Earth Outline icon-finder-filled.svg Icon Finder Filled icon-finder-filled.svg Icon Finder Filled icon-headset-line.svg Icon Headset Line icon-headset-line.svg Icon Headset Line icon-letter-and-envelope-line.svg Icon Letter and Envelope Line icon-movie-download-line.svg Icon Movie Download Line icon-music-note-circle-line.svg Icon Music Note Circle Line icon-new-window-line.svg Icon New Window Line icon-new-window-line-blue.svg Icon New Window Line icon-page-ribbon-line.svg Icon Page Ribbon Line icon-person-filled.svg Icon Person Filled icon-person-filled.svg Icon Person Filled icon-play-circle.svg Icon Play Circle icon-recent-articles-line.svg Icon Article Line icon-stop-circle.svg Icon Stop Circle icon-play-pressed-circle.svg Icon Play Pressed Circle icon-question-mark-circle.svg Icon Question Mark Circle icon-quotation-end.svg Icon Quotation End icon-quotation-start.svg Icon Quotation Start icon-quotation-end.svg Icon Quotation End icon-quotation-start.svg Icon Quotation Start icon-sheet-music-line.svg Icon Sheet Music Line icon-shopping-cart-line.svg Icon Shopping Cart Line icon-social-media-facebook-circle.svg Icon Social Media Facebook Circle icon-social-media-google-plus-circle.svg Icon Social Media Google Plus Circle icon-social-media-instagram-circle.svg Icon Social Media Instagram Circle icon-social-media-linkedin-circle.svg Icon Social Media LinkedIn Circle icon-social-media-pinterest-circle.svg Icon Social Media Pinterest Circle icon-social-media-twitter-circle.svg Icon Social Media Twitter Circle icon-social-media-youtube-circle.svg Icon Social Media YouTube Circle icon-social-media-twitter-filled.svg Icon Social Media Twitter Filled icon-stop-button-filled.svg Icon Stop Button Filled icon-translation-filled.svg Icon Translation Filled icon-regional.svg Icon Regional Map Pin icon-globe icon-chat.svg Icon Chat icon-clock-outline.svg Icon Clock Outline icon-headphones-outline.svg Icon Headphones Outline icon-pin-outline.svg Icon Pin Outline icon-payment-check.svg Icon Payment Check icon-article-line-mobile.svg Article Icon icon-music-note-circle-line-mobile.svg Music Note Icon icon-sheet-music-line-mobile.svg Sheet Music Icon icon-nav-mobile-more.svg Navigation More Icon icon-nav-mobile-more.svg Navigation More Icon icon-nav-mobile-song-select.svg Navigation SongSelect Icon icon-nav-mobile-services.svg Navigation Services Icon icon-nav-mobile-support.svg Navigation Support Icon

NEW! Auto-reporting is here.

Learn More

Choose Your Location and Language

Flag of Botswana
Flag of Cameroon
Flag of Egypt
Flag of Kenya
Flag of Lesotho
Flag of Malawi
Flag of Mauritus
Flag of Mozambique
Flag of Namibia
Flag of Nigeria
Flag of Rep. of Congo
Rep. of Congo
Flag of Senegal
Flag of South Africa
South Africa
Flag of Swaziland
Flag of Uganda
Flag of Zambia
Portuguese Spanish English
United States
English Spanish
Korea 대한민국
New Zealand
Nederlands English
Danish English
Deutsch English
Finnish Swedish English
Français English
Nederlands English
Nederlands English
Norwegian English
Deutsch Français English
Svenska English
United Kingdom
Church steeple at sunset Church steeple at sunset


Frequently Asked Questions Topics:

  • How does CCLI define a 'church' for licensing purposes?

    The Church Copyright Licence terms define a church as:

    A distinct group of Christian worshippers congregating at a particular location.

    Licences are required if copyright-protected resources are reproduced, photocopied, printed, projected from electronic song databases or OHP slides, performed, or audio/video recorded during the course of, or in preparation for, activities undertaken by the church.

    Generally, this definition is adequate. However, not all churches operate in the same way and CCLI is sometimes asked to explain what happens, for example, when congregations meet in different places each week, or a single team ministry works through multiple sites? And what happens if a church decides to ‘plant’ a new church on the nearby housing estate, but with the same pastoral oversight?

    Churches and Benefices

    Churches can often have close association with neighbouring churches of the same denomination, for example Methodist circuits and Anglican benefices. This does not mean we treat them as one church, even if only one minister oversees them all. They remain distinct congregations for licensing purposes. For more information contact CCLI.

    Church Plants

    These, by definition, create new distinct congregations and would require separate licensing. For more contact CCLI.


    If a church has a town/city-wide vision and purposefully seeks to undertake its activities from multiple locations, albeit under a single leadership, these different locations will require separate licensing if the following are generally true:

    They are several miles apart
    Separate resources have to be provided / created per site, e.g. to facilitate worship
    Each site has its own audio visual installations including song lyric projection
    Each site has a distinct core of the people attending

    Roving Congregations

    Where a group of small church congregations have joined together to form one new larger congregation, but which meets in each of the original church buildings on a weekly rotation basis, CCLI can make some licensing concessions. For more information contact CCLI.

    Town-wide/Inter-church Celebration Services

    If a group of churches gathers for a joint service or celebration, as a one-off or a regular event, there are a number of factors that must be considered when determining licence requirements. These include the frequency of the event, the numbers attending and the venue(s). Please contact CCLI to discuss your particular licence requirements.

  • Can I use photographs that I have found on the internet?

    The internet makes it easy to source and download a vast array of images, but you should not assume you have the right to use them without permission, even if it’s for your own personal or charitable use. This is because in Ireland copyright is an automatic right that is given to the owner of a piece of work the moment it is written down or recorded in some tangible format. So if another person has created the work and you want to use it, even though the photograph does not show any copyright information, you must first contact the owner or a body acting on their behalf for permission.

    Alternatively, try searching for images which are free to use (such as images assigned a Creative Commons licence). Always ensure you include any acknowledgements stipulated whenever you use the image.

  • How can I found out what is covered by my licence?

    To search the lists of the songs, catalogues, publications, publishers and producers/studios covered by CCLI’s licences, visit our Authorised lists page.

  • Do I need a licence for showing words or printed music publications using a visualiser?

    Yes, it’s likely you will need licence(s). CCLI views the use of a visualiser for showing publications as a ‘copying event’ and deems that a copy/reproduction has been made, a view shared by other copyright organisations such as CLA who currently adminster the Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML) which covers song reproduction in curricular activities. If you show song words or printed music publications using a visualiser for your services, or collective worship, you will need to hold the appropriate copyright licences.

  • Does a church licence cover a church hall too for church social functions?

    If your hall is an integral part of the church building then the PRS Church Licence will cover the entire building including the hall unless more than six concerts/recitals per year are held in the church premises. If your hall is a separate building, whether or not it is within the curtilage of the church, then the hall can only be covered by CCLI if activities where music is played are run predominately by and for the church congregation. In all other cases PRS for Music will license the hall directly as a separate building. With regard to recorded music being played socially the PPL would only cover non-commercial third party hirers. Please contact our Customer Services department on +44 (0)1323 436100 for further information.

  • Can we make our own arrangements of songs?

    The Church Copyright Licence (CCL) permits churches to make customised instrumental arrangements of authorised hymns and worship songs provided that no published version is available.

  • Do I need a licence to score music by hand?

    Scoring copyright music by hand would require permission from the copyright holders. The Music Reproduction Licence (MRL)/Collective Worship Music Reproduction Licence (CWMRL) covers customised instrumental arrangements of music compositions provided that no published version is available. All aspects of the music, apart from the instrumentation, must remain unchanged. The original copy must have been purchased by the church or a church member.

  • What is Public Domain (PD) and when does a song become Public Domain?

    Public Domain songs are songs that are no longer protected by copyright law. As such, you do not need permission to copy, reproduce or adapt them. No CCLI reporting is required for PD songs.

    Copyright protection lasts for 70 years following the death of the last surviving author/writer, after which the song becomes PD.

  • Can we adapt, write new words or add a new verse to a copyright-protected song?

    Copyright law protects the owner from any unauthorised changes to their work. Therefore, you would need to contact the copyright owner and obtain their permission before making any changes to their song.

  • How do we calculate our size category or average aggregate attendance?

    If you’re a church, it’s the average number of people who attend your main service that decides your size category. If your church holds more than one main service to accommodate everyone who wishes to attend (i.e. a repeat of the main service rather than a different style of service) then you would add the two averages together to work out your size category. However, if a church holds more than one service, but those services are distinctly different and do not exist simply because the congregation can’t all meet at the same time, then the size category will be based on the average attendance at whichever service is largest.

    If you’re a school, your size category is determined by the total number of pupils on your school roll.

  • How does copyright affect small house groups not linked to a church?

    A house group would require a licence if they are reproducing song words and/or music for leading worship.

  • If a copyright line says 'all rights reserved' can I reproduce it?

    ‘All rights reserved’ simply indicates that a song is under copyright and you cannot reproduce or change it without the appropriate permissions. The Church Copyright Licence (CCL)/Collective Worship Copyright Licence (CWCL) permits you to reproduce authorised songs even if the copyright line reads ‘all rights reserved’.

  • How do I find the copyright year?

    The copyright year would usually be printed at the bottom or top of the authorised sheet music.

  • I translate English songs into another language. Do I need to do anything about copyright?

    The Church Copyright Licence (CCL)/Collective Worship Copyright Licence (CWCL) covers the translation of an authorised song’s lyrics from the original published version into a preferred language where no published version is available. The translation must be exclusively for use in church worship services.

  • Can we project or reproduce text from the Bible?

    Translations of the Bible (e.g. NIV or ESV) are usually protected by copyright meaning permission is required to reproduce their text in any form. We suggest that you refer to the title page of the Bible you wish to use, which would provide information on copyright. If in doubt we suggest you contact the publisher of that translation.

  • Would our Church Copyright Licence (CCL) cover a small bible study/home group held outside of the main church venue?

    Yes. The CCL covers the congregation rather than the building. It therefore covers all church-related activities.

  • We only ever sing from hymnbooks handed to each member of the congregation. Do we need a licence?

    A licence would not be required unless the words/music for copyrighted songs were being projected, reproduced or copied.

  • What do I need to know before publishing copyright text or music on our website?

    To upload commercial music recordings or the live recording of a performance of a copyright work to a website requires permission.

    IMRO should be able to offer a licence for this purpose and we recommend contacting them for advice. In addition, if uploading a recording of a live performance, ensure you have the permission of the performers.

    To live-stream, or webcast services which include live worship music via your website, or a video-sharing site such as YouTube or Facebook Live, you will usually need a combination of the CCLI Streaming Licence and an IMRO Online Music Licence.

    Before publishing any text extract, including song words, liturgy or poetry, always obtain the permission of the copyright owner, who would be entitled to charge you if they discover you have published their work without permission.


  • Can we show films in church using a TV streaming service?

    Provided your church holds a Church Video Licence (CVL) and a PRS for Music Church Licence you can show films authorised under the CVL in church activities using an legal streaming service. If you are only showing film scenes during your regular worship services, and not during any other church activities, you will not require the PRS for Music licence in addition to the CVL.

  • We record our sermons for our web-site. If one includes a video or audio clip do we need to cut this bit out?

    If your recording includes commercial music recordings, videos or the live recording of a performance of a copyright work you will require a licence or the permission of the copyright owner. The CCLI Streaming Licence covers the streaming of live performances of many worship songs and hymns, while the CCLI Streaming Plus Licence also covers many song recordings, such as artist tracks, backing tracks and multitracks.

    In addition, if uploading a recording of a live performance, ensure you have the permission of the performers.

    Before publishing any text extract, including song words, liturgy or poetry, always obtain the permission of the copyright owner, who would be entitled to charge you if they discover you have published their work without permission.

  • Are we allowed to reproduce songs and music downloaded from websites if we have a Church Copyright Licence (CCL)?

    Unfortunately there are many websites illegally offering lyric and music downloads, so we would recommend caution before using them. If you are downloading from an authorised company these can be reported in the usual manner. You may be interested in the CCLI SongSelect® subscription service, which enables churches to download lyrics and transposable chord sheets, lead sheets and vocal sheets.

  • Can we show videos from video-sharing websites during our services and church activities?

    You should always ensure you have permission to use copyrighted material in church, regardless of the source.

    The Church Video Licence grants permission to publicly display authorised content otherwise intended for private, personal use only. This means you can display any video which is covered by your licence provided you are showing it from an official channel or legally-obtained source.

    The CCLI Church Copyright Licence and Streaming Plus Licence do not cover the visual element of a song video. Therefore, regardless of the source, we recommend you have direct permission from the owner before displaying a song or lyric video in church.

  • Can we use a file-sharing website to distribute music copies to our musicians? If so, how do we report this?

    You can use file-sharing websites to distribute sheet music provided you have a Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) and the shared folders are password protected with access only granted to members of your church. However, whenever a sheet music file is downloaded from a shared storage site, a new copy has been made which would then need to be reported under the MRL.

  • Can we live stream our services or record and upload them to our website or as a podcast?

    You may upload sermons to the internet provided they don’t contain any copyright material, and you have the permission of any speakers or contributors.

    To live-stream, or webcast services which include live worship music via your website, or a video-sharing site such as YouTube or Facebook Live, you will usually need a CCLI Streaming Licence

    If you are hosting the stream or webcast on your church website you will also require an IMRO Online Music Licence.

    Find out more about recording, podcasting and live-streaming church services.

  • Can more than one person report?

    As reporting can be done automatically or manually, how you report depends on the licences you hold and which method you choose.

    Once set up correctly, auto-reporting is continuous and requires no regular input from account Users. However, we recommend someone checks your reporting account occasionally to ensure auto-reporting is working correctly.

    For manual reporting there is no limit to the number of Users who can report. Your account Administrator can send an ‘invite’ to anyone within your church to join your account. They will then be able to access CCLI reporting and submit manual reports.

  • If we share the sheet music files electronically, how should we report this?

    The Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) permits licence holders to scan authorised songs from authorised songbooks. Each time the scanned file is subsequently printed or shared electronically (e.g. as a PDF attached to an email or a file downloaded from a file-sharing site such as DropBox) this counts as a separate reproduction and should be included in your CCLI reporting.

  • We use OHP acetates. Which fixation category should we report these under?

    Reproducing the words to songs using an Overhead Projector and acetates is defined as ‘Print’ (because you have written/typed/printed or copied the words onto an OHP acetate)

  • Can I search for a song using its first line?

    Yes, the Reporting search should still find your song. However, when a song is registered with CCLI it is most commonly done under the song’s official title which is often different to the first line. This occasionally causes confusion for the reporter. For example, Stuart Townend’s The Lord’s My Shepherd is actually called Psalm 23. Some have asked why the Reporting site won’t let you search by first line. It does, but sometimes the search result won’t match your search criteria because you searched by first line and the result is the song’s title. A good example of this would be a search for Graham Kendrick’s From Heaven You Came Helpless Babe which will return The Servant King as the first (and correct) result.

  • My Verification email didn’t arrive

    You will be sent a verification email when you create your User Account with a link that you must click within 24 hours to complete the sign-up process. If you haven’t received this email it’s likely that it got caught in your junk mail filter, so please check there first. If you still can’t find it, please contact us.

  • I can't find a song. It doesn't come up in the search results. Why can't I see it?

    If a song is covered by CCLI’s licences, it is called authorised. There are a small number of popular and regularly sung songs which are not covered by CCLI and these are referred to as Unauthorised. The Reporting website features all songs authorised under the Church Copyright Licence (CCL). If you can’t find the song you wish to report, please check carefully that you are entering the correct details. If you still can’t find it, it could mean a couple different things. The song information may not yet be submitted to CCLI by the publisher, or it may mean that you have reproduced an unauthorised song. In each case there is no need for you to report any activity. Please note, however, that permission to reproduce unauthorised songs must be obtained directly from the publisher.

  • Why does my search return so many results and how do I know I've selected the right song from the list?

    Unfortunately, songwriters don’t always choose unique titles for their songs, and there can often be several versions/arrangements of the same song by different authors. This can cause some challenges when trying to report a specific song. The ‘POPULAR’ feature is there to help, showing the most common titles. If you find multiple results with that same song title, please check the names of the authors and copyright information to determine which song you need to report against.

    TIP: If you click on the ‘i’ symbol next to a song title in the list of search results it will display further information about that song including the author, catalogue and copyright details, lyric preview and often a sound sample too.

  • How do I find more help?

    You’ll find help-guides at

  • The person set up as our Account Administrator has left. How do I change this?

    Only the Administrator can add or remove users and change who the Account Administrator is. If this person is no longer around, please contact CCLI.

  • I’ve made a mistake, can I go back and change it?

    Yes, you can amend your report at any time during your assigned reporting period. To make a change, click History, choose the song you wish to edit, click the arrow to the left of the song’s title, then the three dots to the right of the reporting categories.

  • Can I still complete my report at the end of my licence period?

    CCLI’s Reporting system is not set up for once-a-year reporting, and we rely on regular reports to ensure we can distribute royalties fairly.

    However, as reporting can be done automatically or manually, how often you should report depends on the licenses you hold and which method you choose.

    Once set up correctly, auto-reporting is continuous.

    For manual reporting, we recommend that you report as you go. You can assign as many Users as you need to your account. This means that everyone who reproduces songs, or makes copies, can take responsibility for reporting. If you do fall behind, you can report retrospectively to catch up.

  • How do I know how many times we’ve already reported a song?

    You can see how many times a song has been reported within the current reporting period. Click History, choose the song you wish to view, then click the arrow to the left of the song’s title to see a list of previous reports of that song.

  • Do I need to Report even though I don’t have any copy activity?

    Yes, it’s still important to report. To do so, simply log in to the Reporting website and click Nothing to Report.

  • If we use the same photocopies of songs that we copied in a previous licence period, do I need to report them again?

    No. You need only report each time a song is reproduced.

  • Can we use a file-sharing website to distribute music copies to our musicians? If so, how do we report this?

    You can use file-sharing websites to distribute sheet music provided you have a Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) and the shared folders are password protected with access only granted to members of your church. However, whenever a sheet music file is downloaded from a shared storage site, a new copy has been made which would then need to be reported under the MRL.

  • How can I tell if a song is covered by my CCLI licence?

    Search for the song using CCLI’s SongSelect which contains details of all songs covered by the Church Copyright Licence/Collective Worship Copyright Licence. In the rare event that the song is too new to be listed within SongSelect, check the authorised catalogue. If the copyright owner of the song is listed and the purpose of the copy is to assist the congregation, then you are free to reproduce the song.

  • We would like to make our own song lyrics booklets. Can we do this under our CCLI copyright licence? If so, how do we report these?

    The Church Copyright Licence (CCL)/Collective Worship Copyright Licence (CWCL) permits you to print authorised song/hymn words in a ‘home-made’ songbook for use in your services/assemblies. When you first create the book, you should report each song contained within it just once under PRINT. You don’t need to report the total number of songbooks you make, or any subsequent use of these same printed books again, regardless of how long you keep them. If you add additional songs, these should then be reported once under PRINT. However, if you subsequently print additional copies of your book, you should report again each song once under PRINT.

  • How do I set up a SongSelect account?

    SongSelect is a subscription service available to churches which hold a Church Copyright Licence (CCL). When your church purchases a SongSelect subscription, we’ll send you an Email containing your church’s Access Code. Follow the instructions in the email to set up your account. The person who initially sets up the account becomes the Account Administrator (though you can change this later). Once you’ve set up your account, you’ll have the option to ‘invite’ members of your church worship/PA/projection team to join your account, who will then become Users.

    As an individual, you can set up a free SongSelect account at any time. This free account will give you limited access to SongSelect, including full access to the resources of songs within the Public Domain. A free SongSelect account is a great way of trialling SongSelect before you purchase a church subscription.

    If someone in your church already has a FREE (Public Domain only) SongSelect account, they can simply link their existing account to your church subscription using your church Access Code. They will then have access to all the features of your church’s subscription level.

  • Do I need permission to download sheet music legally?

    It is illegal to download words or sheet music from websites that are not authorised by the song’s copyright owner. As long as your church holds a current Church Copyright Licence, you can purchase SongSelect® and download songs legally.

  • Do I need to report the songs I download from SongSelect®?

    Although SongSelect keeps a record of which songs you’ve downloaded, we don’t know how you’ve used them in your worship, so they must still be reported.

    However, as reporting can be done automatically or manually, how you report depends on the licenses you hold and which method you choose.

    Auto-reporting is enabled by connecting participating worship, planning, or presentation software to CCLI’s Reporting tool. Songs will then be reported automatically from your setlists and service plans provided you input each CCLI song number. If you connect your SongSelect account to your service software, you can pull your lyrics in from SongSelect and the CCLI song numbers will be pulled in too. As long as it is set up correctly, auto-reporting is continuous.

    For guidance on manual reporting, visit

  • Is there a limit to how many songs I can download from SongSelect?

    Lyric downloads have no limit. SongSelect Advanced and Premium allow you to download/print sheet music for up to 200 distinct songs per year. Additional songs can be purchased in increments of 50 upon request. However upon renewal any downloads left over would be lost.

  • Can I upgrade my SongSelect subscription part way through the year?

    Yes. Please contact call us on +44 (0)1323 436100 for more details.

  • Does SongSelect® link up with my projection software package?

    Some software packages incorporate a feature which links to your SongSelect® account. View a list of official SongSelect API partners here.

  • How can additional users be added on our church's SongSelect® account?

    Additional users can be added at SongSelect®. Anyone assigned as an Account Administrator can invite others to the account by using the tab “Link user to the Account.”

  • Do I need a Church Copyright Licence (CCL) to purchase SongSelect®?

    Yes. Although anyone can set up a free account and explore the free features of SongSelect, your church must hold an existing Church Copyright Licence (CCL)  to purchase any subscription level version of SongSelect®. Once your church has purchased an account, you can link your free account to it or the account Administrator can invite you to join.

  • What is a unique download?

    A unique download would be one individual song. A church would have 200 downloads per licence period. If a song is printed off in a different key or if multiple copies are printed of the same song, this would still only count as one unique download.

  • How many users does SongSelect® permit?

    Your church can have unlimited users on SongSelect® and they can access SongSelect from any web device. Each user will need to create their own personal account and log in details and then they will be able to link to the church account.

  • How much does it cost to register songs with CCLI?

    There is no charge to register songs with CCLI. Please complete our Copyright Administration form to request a Song Owner Agreement Pack or for further information.

  • What rights do I have over my work?

    In the Ireland, copyright is automatic as soon as you have written down or recorded your work in a tangible format. Ireland law provides the creator of a song with two main rights. The first is economic, giving the owner the right to charge any person who wishes to copy, perform or record their work for any commercial or non-commercial use. The second is a moral right, protecting the work from any use or arrangement that is contrary to the wishes of the copyright owner.

  • Who can I contact to get my songs published?

    CCLI is unable to recommend any particular publisher to you. The contact details for numerous music publishers, whom you may wish to contact directly, can be found on the Authorised Administrator List.

  • I write songs. How do I go about copyrighting them?

    Under current copyright law, a newly-written song is protected from the moment that it is written down or recorded in some physical or tangible format. Songs do not have to be registered in anyway to have copyright protection, however you may wish to take steps to prove your ownership of the work, such as sending a copy to yourself by registered post and retaining it, unopened. Another option would be to register your work with a professional agency.

  • Once a song is registered with CCLI, how does the author of the work get paid?

    CCLI pays out royalties to registered song owners based on the copy activity reports from our licence holding churches and other organisations.

  • How can I register with CCLI?

    To become a registered Copyright Owner with CCLI, you need to complete our Owner Agreement. Please contact our Intellectual Property Department for details.

Need to know what's covered in a CCLI Copyright Licence?

Do you show movies or movie scenes in sermons?

Learn how SongSelect can help your church, for free.

Phone Support

Talk with a knowledgeable specialist, M-F, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

+44 (0)1323 436100
Email Support

Contact CCLI with general questions or comments.

Email CCLI
Support Options

View all options for support, including articles and FAQs.

Support Options
Order Now

Start a new licence order by telling us what you need.