Showing Films

Do you use film scenes or show films in your church?

If so, you must first ensure that you have obtained permission, even if you are only showing a 30-second scene.  This is because pre-recorded videos and DVDs that you can buy or rent from shops are only intended for personal home use, not public viewing such as in your church building, hall or bookshop.

CVLILogo_200Since CCLI is an agent to Christian Video Licensing International (CVLI) you don’t need to contact every copyright owner each time you would like to show a film in your church.  Just follow the simple steps below:

  1. Check that the producers are covered by the licence scheme.
  2. Apply now!

When showing films don’t forget:

You Can
You Can’t
Ask for a contribution from people. Charge an entrance fee.
Show any number of films/film scenes from the producers signed. Show any film – check the producers list.
Promote the film title within your church
(notice board, newsletter, etc).
Promote the film title outside of your church (including billboard, websites, etc).
Show films from television series that have been published by an authorised studio. Show films that you have recorded from television.
Put the DVD in your computer and cue it up. Burn the film onto another media for adding into a presentation.

To show films in a public place you may also require a performance licence from IMRO.

Licence Fees:

Licence fees are based on the average aggregate attendance at your main service

Church Video Licence
Attendance Category Licence Fee
1 - 49 A €108.00
50 - 99 B €214.00
100 - 249 C €265.00
250 - 499 D €318.00
500 - 999 E €418.00
1000 - 1499 F €531.00
1500 - 2999 G €635.00
3000 - 4999 H €811.00
5000 - 9999 I €1100.00

If you already hold a licence from CCLI, any additional licences you purchase will be charged at a pro-rated price in order to match the expiry date of your existing licence(s). Please contact us for pro-rated prices.

Using YouTube

CCLI recommends caution when using YouTube (and other video-streaming websites) to show film scenes/videos in church. YouTube’s terms of service restrict the service for ‘personal, non-commercial use’ without the ‘prior written consent of the respective licensors’ to use YouTube to show their content.

Churches holding a CVL could therefore show film scenes using YouTube provided the scenes are covered by CVL authorised producers/studios, and provided that the scenes have been uploaded by an authorised source. If you cannot be sure the source is authorised, we recommend using a difference source of the material you wish to show, such as a DVD or legal download.

Not sure which licences you need?

Check the Quick Guide Licence Table