Popular questions:

We use OHP acetates. Which fixation category should we report these under?

Reproducing the words to songs using an Overhead Projector and acetates is defined as ‘Print’ (because you have written/typed/printed or copied the words onto an OHP acetate).

Why can't I find my song?

If your search doesn’t return the song you are looking for, please check that the title is correctly spelt. Remember that if you're searching by first line, the search results will return the song's correct title (so Stuart Townend's version of 'The Lord's My Shepherd' will return it's official title, which is 'Psalm 23'. If you have the CCL number for the song you can search using that. If you still can’t find the song it may be that it is unauthorised* and so is not included on the Online Reporting site. Please note that permission to reproduce unauthorised songs must be obtained direct from the publisher. The reproduction of these songs should not be reported to CCLI. * An unauthorised song is one that is not covered by CCLI licences.

Why does my search return so many results and how do I know I've selected the right song from the list?

Unfortunately, songwriters don’t always choose unique titles for their songs, and there can often be several versions/arrangements of the same song by different authors. This can cause some challenges when trying to report a specific song. The ‘Best Match’ feature is there to help, showing the most common titles first. If you find multiple results with that same song title, please check the names of the authors and copyright information to determine which song you need to report against. TIP: If you click on a song title in the list of search results it will display further information about that song including the author, catalogue and copyright details, lyric preview and often a sound sample too.

Why can I no longer search by Publication?

We’re aware that Online Reporting doesn’t enable users to search for songs based upon the songbook they use. This is a commonly-requested feature and is definitely high on our development ‘to do’ list; we’re working hard to include it in a future release of Online Reporting.

Can I still report using my CopyReport4 software, my CD-ROM or Booklets?

No. The Online Reporting website has now replaced these and is the only way to report to CCLI. You'll find lots of support and video help-guides on our website to help you make the transition: ie.ccli.com/reporting
More questions...

Copyright Questions

Popular questions:

What is copyright?

According to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (UK) and the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 (Eire) copyright is an intellectual property right given to the creators of original musical, literary, artistic and dramatic works. There is also a separate and distinct copyright in a sound recording, a broadcast and a video of film.

What is dubbing?

Dubbing is the copying of a sound recording from one format to another. Copying music from a commercial recording on to your wedding video requires the permission of two licensing agencies – one which pays the owner or copyright administrator of the musical work being dubbed (MCPS) and the other which pays the company that produced the recording from which the work is being copied (PPL).

What is public domain?

Copyright in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work (including a photograph) lasts until 70 years after the death of the author. The duration of copyright in a film is 70 years after the death of the last to survive of the principal director, the authors of the screenplay and dialogue, and the composer of any music specially created for the film. Sound recordings, broadcasts and cable programmes are protected for 50 years, and published editions are protected for 25 years. After that time, the work is deemed to be “in the public domain”, and may be performed, copied or recorded without permission and without charge.
More questions...

Church Copyright Licence

Popular questions:

When does a song become public domain (PD)?

Copyright lasts for 70 years from the death of the author and/or composer. In cases where the author and composer are different, and only one of the them has been dead for more than 70 years, then permission is still needed to reproduce the other part of the song. NB: If new words are used for a PD tune, permission is needed to reproduce the words, but not the tune.

What acknowledgments should I give when displaying song words?

Under the words of each song reproduced you are required to include the following: "[author], © [year, owner], [your licence number]" eg. Fred Smiley, © 2007 Happy Music Ltd., CCL No, 123456

How can I tell if a song is covered by my licence?

For the Church Copyright Licence please check the Authorised Catalogue List: www.ccli.co.uk/resources/publishers-producers. If the copyright owner of the song is listed, then you are free to reproduce the words of this song. For the Music Reproduction Licence, check that the songbook from which you want to photocopy is on the Authorised Publication List. If it is, then check that the copyright owner(s) of the song words and the copyright owner(s) of the music are listed in the Authorised Catalogue list (MRL). If the songbook is authorised and the copyright owner(s) of the words and music of the song are authorised, then you are permitted to photocopy the song.
More questions...

Music Reproduction Licence (MRL)

Popular questions:

What acknowledgements should I give on music photocopies?

At the bottom of each words/music photocopy you should write:

We use computer software programs for reproducing music which is still in copyright – is this covered by our licence?

No. The Music Reproduce Licence (MRL) only permits the photocopying of authorised songs from authorised songbooks. Your MRL does not permit you to reproduce music, which is still protected by copyright, using music software programs such as Sibelius. If there is no published customised arrangement of a piece of music, you may use computer software to create one. This should be reported on your MRL CopyReport as a customised arrangement.

Does the Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) permit licence holders to scan songbooks?

The Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) permits licence holders to scan authorised songs from authorised songbooks, but only as far as it relates to producing a printed copy of the song. The digital image may not be stored once the printed copy has been produced, nor can the digital image be distributed (eg by email or via a website).
More questions...

Using DVDs & Videos

Popular questions:

Can we show an 18 film to people under 18 with parental consent?

The British Board of Film Classification advises as follows: "The legal position, as defined by the Video Recordings Act 1984, is that it is an offence to 'supply' an age restricted DVD/video to a person under the age stated on the certificate. In other words, to commit an offence you must physically give a disc or tape to an under aged person (and, in doing so, you must be doing so for reward or in the course of furtherance of a business). Legally speaking, therefore, it is not actually an offence for a person under the age stated on the certificate to see an age restricted video or DVD. Nor is it an offence to show an underaged person an age restricted video or disc or to allow them to see one. The BBFC's recommendation - although it has no strict legal basis - is not to show DVD/video works of a particular category to children below that age as the classification decision indicates that the work contains material which is unsuitable for children younger than the age specified. However, there may be instances where it might be considered appropriate to show a film or DVD/video in a genuine educational context where it is properly discussed and presented (eg. a film of 'Macbeth' rated '15' showed to 14 year old GCSE English Literature students as part of their study of that text). In these cases, it is advised that parental consent prior to the screening is sought, with the educational reasons for showing the work to an underage audience clearly outlined. It is also important to make sure that any children watching are not likely to suffer any ill effects as a result of seeing the work. We would also not generally advocate showing age restricted works, within this educational context, to persons more than a year or two under the recommended age. The Board's recommendations as outlined [above] would also apply to the showing to an underaged audience of "small clips" from an age-restricted work. The clips may contain material which is judged to be unsuitable for viewers below the age given to the work as a whole."

Do we need a licence to show DVDs or Videos in our church services?

Churches would generally require a Church Video Licence (CVL) to show commercial DVDs or Videos within their church services. The price is based upon the average attendance at your main service. A PRS for Music Church Licence and PPL Church Licence are not required for showing film scenes within worship.

What are the restrictions on advertising a DVD showing for a church? Can it be placed on the notice board outside of the church? Can leaflets be handed out? Can it be advertised in a school newsletter?

Churches using commercial videos or dvds may require a Church Video Licence (CVL), PRS for Music Church Licence and PPL Church Licence. Please click ie.ccli.com/licences/churches/cvl/ The CVL does not permit churches to charge for attendance or advertise the specific title to the general public. This would include a notice board outside of the church, school newsletters or leaflets distributed to the general public. Full CVL terms and conditions can be viewed at ie.ccli.com/licences/licence-terms/
More questions...

Downloading Lyrics & Music With SongSelect

Popular questions:

Can I upgrade from SongSelect® Basic to Advanced Melody part way through the year?

Yes. Please contact the Customer Service Team for more details - +44 (0)1323 436100 or at info@ccli.co.uk

Does SongSelect® link up with my projection software package?

Some software packages incorporate a feature which links to the SongSelect® website. Contact your supplier for more details.

Is SongSelect® available for Mac?

Yes. As SongSelect® is an online resource Mac users are able to download song lyrics and music in the same way.
More questions...


Popular questions:

What rights do I have over my work?

Copyright provides the creator of a song with two main rights. The first is economic, giving the owner the right to charge any person who wishes to copy, perform or record their work for any commercial or non-commercial use. The second is a moral right, protecting the work from any use or arrangement that is contrary to the wishes of the copyright owner.

Who can I contact to get my songs published?

CCLI is unable to recommend any particular publisher to you. The contact details for numerous music publishers, whom you may wish to contact directly, can be found on the Authorised Administrator List.

I write songs. How do I go about copyrighting them?

Under the Copyright, Designs & Patent Act 1988 a newly written song is protected from the moment that it is written down or recorded in some physical or tangible format. Songs do not have to be registered in anyway to be copyright. It is common practice for the creator to send a copy of the work back to themselves by Recorded Delivery and then retain the sealed, dated copy of the work should anyone challenge ownership of the work. You could also deposit a copy with a solicitor.
More questions...


Popular questions:

Are there any licences that would enable a church to put videos on YouTube or on the church website (with a copyright music soundtrack)?

Yes. There are a number of different permissions/licences that are required. If you want to include audio on your personal or church website (including the music sound-track of a video clip) you may need to obtain a licence from the Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO): imro.ie or Phonographic Performance Ireland (PPI): ppimusic.ie YouTube operates under a strict guideline that any videos must be copyright cleared by the person placing them on the site. This relates to both the audio and video included in the clip you intend to upload. To upload your own home-made video clip you need to ensure that the music included is either Public Domain or owned by yourself. Otherwise you will need to contact IMRO for a licence to record someone else’s song/music. If your home-made video clip includes music from a pre-recorded source (e.g. a track from a commercially available CD) you will need to contact both IMRO and PPI. To upload clips from a commercially available video/DVD, or recorded from television, you would first have to obtain permission from the film/program producers.

Are we allowed to reproduce songs and music downloaded from websites?

Unfortunately there are many web-pages illegally offering lyric and music downloads so we would recommend caution before using sites. If you are downloading from an authorised company these can be reported to CCLI in the usual manner. You may be interested in CCLI's SongSelect website: uk.ccli.com/songselect/ which enables churches to download lyrics and print out chord/lead sheets legally.
More questions...